June 7, 2013

Maker's Mark

As I ventured to explore whisky tasting, I set my mind to Scotch, having known I liked Scotch whisky over Bourbon or Tennessee whisky. However, a work colleague recommended I try some whiskys from the Kentucky Bourbon trail. I caved and began the Kentucky Bourbon tasting with a bottle of Makers Mark.

Distinct Red Wax Seal
Like many things, limited should be better, and Maker's Mark is a small-batch bourbon whisky with a uniqueness. Each bottle is handle labeled and has a distinct wax dripped seal, making it the finger print of each bottle. It is aged on average for 6 years, between 5 ¾ and 6 ½ .

What makes a Bourbon is the popularity of rye. When Scotland and Ireland was distilling whiskys, barley was hard to come by in America, so rye or sometimes wheat was used to make American whisky. Bourbon whisky is known for mashing 51% of corn, and the other 49% blends of rye, malted barley or wheat. Maker's Mark is not made from a rye mash, but uses a red wheat, giving it a beautiful touch of red in the amber looking drink.

Tulip glass and a dram of Maker's Mark
I poured a dram in my new whisky tulip glass and at first glance, great color and thick consistency. You can see the thick liquid drain back down in the glass ever so slow thinking this will be smooth. As always, I served it neat, and I put my nose to the glass. Maker's Mark has a lot of spicy nodes and fragrant cinnamon and vanilla characteristics. There is sweetness aroma in the background, not as overpowering as the spice, but some syrup like quality.

At first mouth-full, there was a bitter feel, not what I expected, and not something I enjoyed. I allowed the drink to sit and air a while longer and I took a taste. As expected, a bit spicy, but I had a love hate relationship with it going down. Every flavor mixed in my inner mouth, sweet syrup, spicy cinnamon, vanilla and a touch of wood. Now comes the truth, do I give this a “Bottom's Up” or not? It's Bourbon whisky, you should have a Bourbon in your house simply when friends or family come over and Bourbon is their poison, then yes, you should have Maker's Mark. Do I recommend you run out and buy one immediately? It can wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment