May 16, 2013

Chivas Regal 12

I will have to be honest; my first experience with Scotch was with Chivas Regal. Not knowing any better at the time, I drank it like my father would… ice and club soda. This week, I reintroduced my taste buds to a treat, and drank the 12 year old whisky neat.

Chivas Regal was distilled at Strathisla Distillery, owned by the Chivas Brothers in Speyside, Scotland. Now owned by a French Company, it is still distilled in one of the oldest distilleries in the Highlands. I took out the 12 year old whisky, bottled in a nice round 1 liter flask and poured me a dram.

Chivas is a blend of other whiskies, including Strathisla Single Malt. At first sight, the light gold colored drink also had a light consistency. The aromas from my glass where bitter sweet, very little sweet and over powering bitter nodes. At first taste, I held the drink in my mouth and can taste as if there was charred wood, perhaps from the peat fire drying process, or reused cask. The over powering bitterness aroma was not as present in the taste, but a fair balance of bitterness and sweet fruit. The mouthfeel had a buttery consistency, but it wasn't as smooth at the finish.

I don't feel like I would buy another bottle of Chivas Regal, I was a little disappointed and would not recommend to family or friends. Don't let me hold you back, feel free to try it next time you're are a bar and taste for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment