May 21, 2013

Jameson Irish Whiskey

Last week, I celebrated my birthday and decided to order a pour of Irish Whiskey. Now, before we go any further, I'm no expert, but I do know this: Irish Whiskey wanted to differentiate itself from Scotch by distilling their whiskey three times, rather than two like most Scottish whiskies. Furthermore, to distinct themselves from Scotch, they added an "E" to the word "Whiskey". Lastly of course, Irish Whiskey is produced in Ireland distilleries. One of the oldest of the whiskey distilleries in Ireland was Bow Street Distillery  owned by Scottish businessman, John Jameson.

Jameson makes a very popular malt and I so happened to taste the Jameson Original. First off, I was hoping to be served in a tulip glass, seeing that it was my birthday and it should be the way whiskey should be poured. I was served in this glass. Nonetheless, I proceeded to smell the aroma.

Jameson has a hint of vanilla, citrus and soft nodes of flowers, as if there was a garden of flowers growing with the fresh Irish "green" barely were fresh. I was very pleased with the consistency in the drink, it was a thick liquid and could already imagine that consistency was going to go smooth. When I took the mouth-feel  it was as I expected, thick consistency and could taste the smokey woods, sweet fruit and no bitterness. This whiskey had a smooth, buttery consistency finish.

I've only been blogging about the whiskey I taste for a short while, but I've had several whiskies I've tasted that I had not written about. I tell you this much, Jameson is my first "Bottoms Up" and I do recommend taking a bottle home and enjoy it with family or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment